• In summer 2017 airlines offer over 1.3 million extra seats in Barcelona, up 4% on the previous year.
• Vueling moderates its growth. Despite leading growth in absolute numbers, Vueling increases its offer for the summer season only 3%, below the airport summer season growth average. Norwegian grows 21% in capacity with nearly 250,000 extra seats due to the launch of its long-haul routes to the United States. Of particular note is the amazing growth of Eurowings due to the absorption of the routes of other companies in the Lufthansa group, such as Austrian and Swiss Airlines, which are gradually withdrawing their offer at Barcelona airport.
• By market, the most notable increase in capacity is to the domestic market, up 31%, followed by the US with Norwegian routes. Gains in capacity to Asia can also be seen, with new flights by Korean Air to Seoul and by Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong.
• Finally, there is a decrease in the seasonality of passenger numbers at Barcelona airport. In 2016, traffic during the winter season grew 14% as opposed to 9% growth in the summer season, reducing the seasonality of the airport, reducing the airport seasonality in the last years.
• According to the specialized agency GEBTA, 2016 has been a good year in terms of business travel with growth between 4.5% and 5%
in number of trips, which is expected to continue its upward trend for this 2017.
Source: www.cambrabcn.org/ February 2017
Barcelona Air Route Development Committee
promotes Barcelona Airport intercontinental flights