BCN direct passenger evolution2015-05-05 09:30:13
- Barcelona reached 37.5M passengers in 2014. If it continues to grow at a similar rate (rather likely) it will reach 40M in 2015. The compound annual growth rate (CAGR) over the last 5 years to the different markets shows the increase weight of Europe to the detriment of the Spanish market, as well as the strength of the airport’s sustained growth. Capacity did not grow at the same rate as passenger numbers; a fact which helped put some routes with overcapacity on a sound footing.
- Traffic at Barcelona grew steadily in all markets in 2014, both in terms of passengers and capacity (except for capacity in Spain). Its passenger growth (+6.7%) was greater than the Spanish mean (+4.5).
- The markets with the greatest growth are the intercontinental ones, followed by Europe. Europe leads growth with two thirds of total passengers.
- The Spanish market consolidated its stabilisation and again underwent an increase in capacity after two years of continued decline.
- The intercontinental market increased both in terms of capacity and passenger numbers, especially owing to new frequencies and routes. The growth of direct flights to Asia and the Middle East stand out; a new route to Beijing and the announcements of increases in frequencies by Qatar Airways (February 2015) and Emirates (May 2015). The new North American flights also contributed clearly to traffic expansion.
Source: GPA, SAU ussing Innovata and AENA data; Flickr/manuel muñoz/ 2015-04
Posted by flytobarcelona.org
Barcelona Air Route Development Committee
promotes Barcelona Airport intercontinental flights