Spanish Pharma & Chemical sector
- Spanish pharma & chemicals amount to 58,000 tons of air freight, valued at 5,800 million €. This represents 9.4% of the Spanish air freight in weight and 18.2% of its value.
- Spanish pharma & chemical air freight is centered on exports, which represent 61% of the total pharma freight. Spanish air pharma & chemicals grew by 19% in 2016, with a growth of 9% in exports and 39% in imports.
- The main pharma & chemical regions in Spain are Catalonia (Barcelona’s area) (40%) and Madrid (24%).Zaragoza (1%) is important in other air sectors, but not in pharma.
- Barcelona is especially important in pharma & chemical exports, where it accounts for 47% of the total of Spain. Looking at TARIC 30 code (pharmaceutical products) it represents 53% of the Spanish air exports. In imports BCN and MAD are tied at 30%.
- Strong growth of the Spanish exports for pharmaceutical products (TARIC 30). BCN grew by 10% while Spain as a whole grew by 13%. Imports on Pharmaceutical products are also on the rise: with a growth of +65% in BCN. Organic Chemical exports are also on the rise, with a growth of 15% in Barcelona and 7% for the whole of Spain.
- Spanish air pharma & chemicals are valued at 100.9 €/Kg, well above the average of air products (51.8 €/Kg). The value of exports is slightly higher than the value of imports.
Source: Barcelona Air Traffic Intelligence Unit / September 2017
Barcelona Air Route Development Committee
promotes Barcelona Airport intercontinental flight